Friday, August 24, 2012

Easy, Peasy Homemade Bird Feeders






One of my favorite things about being homeschooled is that I get to learn all sorts of random things. And my mommy and I always do projects that tie in with what I'm learning. So, lately we have been talking about the different classes of animals. This week, we're talking about birds. How they can fly, what they eat, migration, etc. So here is a fun little craft we did to make bird feeders. Hopefully it will attract some birds to our balcony so I can learn up close!

Here's what you'll need:


1 packet of Knox Gelatine
3/4 Cups of flour
3 Tablespoons of Corn Syrup
1/2 Cup of water
4 Cups of Bird seed
Cooking spray
Cookie cutters
Wax paper
String, yarn, or ribbon

Just so you know, this makes a ton of mix. My mommy and I realized at the last minute that we only bought a small bag of bird seed mix (about 2 cups) so we had to cut the recipe in half and it still made seven feeders. This recipe will probably make about 14 or 15 (depending on the size).

Start by mixing the gelatine, flour, corn syrup, and water until smooth. Next, slowly mix in your bird seed until its coated. 


(If you're wondering why our bird seed looks strange, its because we used a bird seed mix- it has fruit, seeds, and nuts)

Spray your cookie cutters with cooking spray, and put them on your wax paper. Then fill your cutters with bird seed. Use an unsharpened pencil to poke through the center near the top of each cutter.



(Is it odd that I picked a bird to be the shape of the food for other birds? It seemed like a funny idea at first, but now that we will be hanging them outside to be eaten soon, I'm not so sure)


Leave your cutter molds to dry for an hour or 2 inside of the cookie cutter. Then gently slide them out and let them dry completely over night. Next morning, tie through your string, hang them outside, and watch the birds flock!


No comments:

Post a Comment